Sunday, January 09, 2005

My little contribution to Tsunami victims

Saturday always feel so refreshing whenever you are working, esp when working for a govt body. So glad the 5-day workweek kicked in place early, unlike those days in Army when we just slept our way thru on sat. What a waste of time!

Have been working in Immgration & Customs Authority for the past week as a 'customer perception surveyor'. Basically, I had to survey pple on their views about the customer service they had gone through at the passport and IC counters. Job was pretty monotonous - targetting pple at the counter, walk over to them, give a nice smile & request to survey him/her/them. There's a sense of achievement whenever someone obliges, otherwise, time feels torturing and crappy. The environment is very cold too and it feels like Ice Age is approaching anytime. In my time there, I observed many wierd stuff around. Kids instantly turning ICA into a big playground, long shrieks accompanied by inconsolable cries from kids who momentarily get separated from their parents (esp mummies), adoption of babies by foriegners, customers kicking a big fuss because they were turned away (less a document and such). The only thing to look forward to everyday is otherwise lunch breaks and end of day. *Yawnz*

Finally I got myself into action to do something for the Tsunami victims. Had been feeling very guilty this week for not being able to take part in anything to help them thanks to my job above. Anyway, we blew up balloons for kids along Orchard Road at basement of Wheelock Place and seeked for donations under TOUCH community services. I wore a hand-made sign carrying the msg 'please help the victims by donating to the Tsunami relief fund' over myself and carried a red donation bag with about 20-30 balloons. Felt like a little clown parading on the streets, outside Lido & Wheelock to be exact. However, I thought the effort was worth it because it was for a very good cause in the 1st place. It's very fun to see kids rushing at you, staring & salivating at the sight of the balloons I'm holding. Gave out some for free along the way just to make their day and see their happy smiles! However, it was marred a bit when an American kid who donated told me his other little friend died in the incident. *ouch* Felt his sadness too... Imagine losing your friend to a natural disaster at such a young age. Donations came pretty freely I must say, and people were generous towards the fund. Yet, it was sad to see so many of the mid-20s adults who were so nonchalent about parting with their money. Must they wait until a calamity hits Singapore then realised how blessed they are to live in such a sheltered country? Sigh, young Singaporeans are too sheltered up to care enough for the world, and wondering why crap volunteers like me are wasting their time for other people of the world. *curse U!* Enough about them. I saw some fun side of the young adults too. Not only did they donate with a big heart, but also gamely took our balloons to help spread the msg ard! Well done! It was a heart-warming sight to see Orchard Road filled with colourful balloons on a rainy day! *HAPPY* 1st time I actually feel so happy flagging for a good cause! I also did donated too, just to do my part. Split up my $40 into pieces of $10 notes and happily donated to whichever donation box thrusted to me... Giving never felt this good!

To all the parents, little ones, to the bunch of gals and guys who took so many balloons and of course the rest of the volunteers, thanks for making this saturday a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home