Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I'm Special. It's Ok~!

Finally, I got to rest a day at home after 2 weeks of non-stop action from badminton, tennis, street soccer, frisbee, BBQ, chalets, blading and of course karate. Wow, it's just pure madness to finally think back how crazy I am 'enjoying life' after the CAs! And the cool orange bag that I had just bought for myself today is the icing on the cake!

As I was readin the papers and watching Channel NewsAsia in the morning, I came across the programme 'I'm special. It's ok'. It's a programme to highlight how physically handicapped children across the region overcome their disabilities to stand tall and proud of where they are now, with no shame nor looking down upon themselves.

I was pretty impressed with the American handicapped writer whose works are based in Thailand. He mentioned he felt blessed about his disabilities because it made me more focused about his written works now and how he took joy in spreading and showcasing his writing/drawing gifts to inspire children across the region with disabilities to prove themselves worthwhile to the society.

However, what impressed me more was this group of children studying in a school in Thailand with literally no limbs. Y? This is because like their students, some of the teachers and staff are disabled too. However recognising the importance of education, the school invested heavily in IT for their students to learn. Scenes of kids scrolling through webpages by clicking on mouses with their feet, older kids feeding younger kids with spoons handled by their feet touched my heart. What mattered more was the kids were totally happy and felt blessed and grateful about themselves owning an education through IT and felt the teachers had given them an opportunity they've not had before. The grateful smiles plastered to their face literally gave me some hope and a meaning to a dull life most of us are experiencing.

I hope that in my future scope of work as a doctor, I am able to bring such smiles to any patients that I come across too! To the disabled kids of Thailand, I applaud you in your spirit towards achieving your dreams! And thank you for showing me what life is all about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home